The sestiere of Santa Croce

Near Hotel Cà Nigra...It is the north-east of the city and via Piazzale Roma it connects Venice to the mainland. All this area has been subject to many demolitions and transformations, starting in 1810 with the demolition of the church and monastery of of Santa Croce, which gave their name to the district.
Church of San Nicolò di Tolentino
Designed by Vincenzo Scamozzi, finished by the Teatini monks, the church was consecrated in 1602. The main altar was created by Longhena in 1661 and has sculptures by Justo Le Court. The facade was designed by Andrea Tirali in 1714.

Church of S.Simeone prophet or S.Simeon Grande
It was founded in 967 as a basilica with three naves and retains this layout today despite two renovations in the eighteenth century by Domenico Margutti and Giorgio Massari

Church of Santi Simeone and Giuda Apostoli S.Simeone Piccolo
This church was built in the eighteenth century with a central layout and an impressive cupola. It predates the classical style

Square and Church of S.Zuane Degolà
The church is dedicated to San Giovanni Decollato, which has become San Zuane Degolà in Venetian dialect. The church is very old. It was originally an oratory and then became a parish church in 1007. Despite the alterations in the eighteenth century it still maintains the appearance of a Venetian-Byzantine church.

Il Fondaco dei Turchi
This was originally built as a private residence by the Pesaro family in the thirteenth century. It was then bought in 1381 by the Venetian Republic , who donated it to Nicola d'Este. In 1621 the Venetian Republic rented it from the Pesaro family, who had reacquired the building and then handed it over to Turkish merchants who used it as a residence and for storing their merchamdise. In 1858 it was bought by the city of Venice, which radically restored it. Today it is the seat of the Natural History Museum.

Church of S.Giacomo Dall'Orio
The name may well derive from the laurel that formerly grew around the church, but it is more likely to refer to the 'luprio' or empty marshland, from which the name Orio may derive. The church dates back to the ninth century and there are still traces of the Byzantine building from 1225. It is laid out in the shape of a Latin cross. The wooden Gothic ceiling is like the hull of a ship

Mocenigo Palace at San Stae
This ancient patrician residence was donated to the city of Venice in 1954. It still contains old seventeenth century furnishings and today it houses a museum of textiles and clothing. It also boasts a rich specialist library

Church of S.Stae (S.Eustachio)
This church was rebuilt in the seventeenth century on pre-existing Byzantine structures and consists only of a central nave. It is the work of Giovanni Grassi. The altars have works by eighteenth-century artists such as Piazzetta and Tiepolo. The
The façade was designed by Domenico Rossi with sculptures by early eighteenth -century artists such as Tarsia and Corradini

Ca' Pesaro
This was built by the Pesaro family in 1628 by renovating and joining together existing buildings. The architect was Baldassarre Longhena. The building was given a sumptuous façade overlooking the Grand Canal in 1679. After Longhena died, the work was finished by Antonio Gaspari. A typical example of Venetian Baroque, today it houses the Museum of Modern Art. It contains major nineteenth and twentieth century works. The second floor houses a collection of Oriental Art that once belonged to Enrico Bourbon-Parma

Church by S.Maria Mater Domini
Thia was already a parish church in the eleventh century. It was renovated in the sixteenth century, and is still laid out in the form of a Greek cross although the façade is in Tuscan Renaissance style. Inside, there are works by Lorenzo Bregno and paintings by Catena and Tintoretto

Corner della Regina Palace
Built in the eighteenth century to a design by Domenico Rossi. It was built on the site of property that already belonged to the Corner family. Caterina Corner was born there in 1454. In 1471 she became queen of Cyprus through marriage and the palazzo thus became known as 'della Regina'. Today, it houses the archives of the Biennale
 
 Back to list 



 
 

Visit our fine hotel & appartments in Venice
 
hotel venice

appartments venice
Venice the city
 
Venice Christmas Charity Festival
Venice Christmas Charity Festival

11th December 2016
Participate at the "Race of the Santas" through ...
 
> View the complete list
 
 Venice the city 
Newsletter

Information and actual offers directly in your email account.




 Registration 
 

Social Networks:

 
Enter in our Social Scene
















Fotogallery & Video
© 2017 Ca' Nigra Lagoon Resort Santa Croce 927 I-30135 Venice, Italy Phone +39 041 2750047 Fax +39 041 2448721 VAT No. 02668160274